Wednesday, October 14, 2009

West Point HO!!

Can I tell you that this momma is so very proud and I am jumping off the walls I am so excited! (Can you picture it?)

I guess I better start from the beginning so you are not all lost---

About 2 months ago, T comes home from school with an application form that his ROTC teacher had given him for a special leadership program. First off, he has to be recommended by his teacher and he was one of only three that was asked to go from his school. This was quite an honor for him and so we set out to gather the things he needed to send in with his application, i.e. resume, photos, recommendation letters, an essay, proof of good grades and being a team builder. The application packet needed to be in a month ago and we had no idea when he would hear back. We also didn't know how many kids would be selected since it was a national program. All we knew was that the semi-finalists would get a phone call for an oral interview. Well, a week ago, he got that phone call and we were so excited. We were all standing around watching him as he talked to this man on the phone. He was overjoyed to say the least after hanging up from him. T said he sounded so optimistic about his chances. He told us that we would hear by the end of that week what his standing was and if we didn't, we needed to call the following Monday. Well, we heard nothing and Monday was a holiday, so we had to wait until Tuesday. He had to leave a message but the lady called back and told him he was an alternate. He was quite bummed until he heard that only 14 people from all around the nation was invited to attend this program and he was number 15. We felt very proud that he ranked so high. The lady told him that IF anyone cancelled, he would be able to go. Well, today, she called and someone had to back out so T IS GOING TO WEST POINT NEW YORK!!!!!! Can I say it again---I am so very proud that I am close to tears. He leaves next month for 5 days.

It is called the Frances Hesselbein Student Leadership Program sponsored by the Military Child Education Coalition. Click here if you want to know more about it.   And the best part of this----we pay nothing. This organization pays for the tuition, airfare, lodging, food---everything. He is thrilled to be able to go to the United States Military Academy at West Point even if it is not Air Force.  It will be a great week for him--he will learn tons and what a great experience it will be for him.  You know there will be future posts about this for sure.  WAY TO GO T!!

8 comments:

Em said...

Wow! That is exciting news! Gratz! Sounds like Ty has been working hard and has super supportive parents!

Maureen said...

WooHoo! That is unbelievable news. Good for your boy! What an experience this will be for him. I hope we get to hear about it all.

Rach said...

Congrats!! What an awesome opportunity! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Jean McKendrick said...

Very cool! Congratulations!

Tara said...

Wow!! Way to go T!! That's awesome! Look forward to future posts!

COKE FAMILY said...

Congratulations! Tell him that we're so proud of him. Great job!

Holly said...

WAY TO GO T! That is H-U-G-E! :)

Teeples Family said...

He is a great kid...I mean young man! What a neat opportunity. It is a wonderful thing to see your children excel, isn't it? Every mom deserves a moment like this!