Saturday, February 13, 2010

Nothing Better!

A friend of mine posted that she loved doing the "mom" and "wife" things and that she was so grateful that she could stay home.  I thought about that and agreed with everything she said (except the laundry part).  So yesterday as I was walking down the hall at school to join K's Valentine party, I thought of the reasons why I love being home and not working.

I like being able to make my home a place that the family can come home to and have it clean and hopefully smelling good with dinner cooking or cookies baking.  I am definitely not the 50's wife with the apron on over my dress and a smile on my face with a full course meal on the table ready to eat every night.  There are times that I am still thinking about what to fix when my hubby comes home from work.  But I do love making my house a home and a refuge.

The main reason  I love to be home is exactly what I was doing Friday morning.  BEING WITH MY KIDS!  Whatever it is they are doing, I love to be there with them.

      * I love to be able to volunteer in K's class every week
      * I love to go to J's class whenever there is something going on
      * I love to go on field trips, attend field days and assemblies, watch class plays
      * I love to watch them participate in sports and coach them whenever possible
      * I love spending time with them on their days off from school, spring and fall breaks, and of course, the entire summer

I wouldn't be able to play such a big part in my children's lives if I worked outside the home.  Don't get me wrong, the extra money would be a big help, but being there for my kids whenever they need me is a huge deal---one that shapes and molds them into awesome adults.  I wouldn't want to change that for anything. 

4 comments:

Jean McKendrick said...

You're a good mom! Cute picture of you and the kids.

Maureen said...

I love this post! You can always go back to work, but you can't roll back time to get those experiences with your children. Good reminder to all of us why we stay home with our children, and for our families.

Holly said...

Agreed! ;o) XOXO

Rach said...

I agree too, especially about the laundry part! Some days I think I might go crazy, but there really is nothing better than being a stay at home Mom (though do we really stay at home that much?).