Wednesday, February 15, 2012

S.W.A.K!!

I was lucky to get a Valentine's weekend this year away with just my honey!  So nice to have kids old enough to fend for themselves so we can go play.  All survived just fine, even with the cold, snowy weather.

Months ago.....I'm talkin like 8 months or so ago.....I bought concert tickets to.....
........Jim Brickman.  He is our most favorite America's Romantic Piano Sensation!  We see him every time he comes to Colorado.  It usually is around Christmas time, but he didn't come last Christmas.  He made our stop one on his Valentine tour instead.  Fine with us as it gave us an excuse to take a night away from our life.

It was a busy Friday just to get out the door, so it was extra nice when we finally got in the car.  I ended up working the full day with some really hard kids in the class that made for a rough day.  Thank goodness for those few good kids that were so great and helpful.  Then I had to rush to get carpool and then home to hurry and pack.  I had already said goodbye to the 2 older kids the night before cuz T needed to get M to her basketball game before I even got out of school.  So after making sure J and K were situated, we were gone!  Out of here! Hasta La Vesta baby!!!  See Ya Later Alligator!  We headed up to Denver, stopped for dinner at Sweet Tomatoes and then went to check into our hotel before heading to the concert.  There was so much traffic going into downtown that we were worried that we would not make curtain call.  But we made it in as they were ringing the bell...5 minute warning.  PHEW!

We had great seats.....7th row, just off center.  It was a fabulous concert as usual.  We love hearing him play and always enjoy those that he has with him each year.  We love Anne Cochran and Tracey Silverman that he has had with him many times.  He had a new singer dude with him...ex NFL football player....last name Utecht or something like that.  He was awesome and it was a very romantic evening with my honey.  He was playing with the Colorado Symphony and they started out playing all the songs from Phantom of the Opera.  It was gorgeous and made me want to see that one again....I love the music from that.
I wanted to get some pictures in the concert hall, but since we barely made it in our seats before they started, I didn't and then it was just so cold out that this is the only pix I took of us...that is the concert hall in the background.  After waiting an eternity almost, we got out of the parking garage and headed back to our hotel.  It was a very nice evening.
The next morning we had a late check out so we slept in until the last possible moment to get breakfast downstairs and then headed back to our room to get ready.  It was so nice and relaxing....just what we both needed.  Then off we went to the temple to take in a session.  It has been awhile and so that was so nice to finally get back there.  Then we headed home, stopping in Castle Rock for lunch. 

The weather started to turn bad as we neared the Springs and we were happy to be close to home.  However, we passed T along the way as he was heading to Denver with his girlfriend to go to the Monster Truck Rally.  Or course, I was nervous for him as it would be late when he came home and the roads would be worse.  (He ended up seeing several people spin out and one even rolled over, so he said that worried him and he was extra cautious)  Let's just say I was ready for bed long before he came home but wouldn't sleep til I heard the garage door open.

Anyway, it was a nice weekend....for everyone.  I know the kids probably enjoyed the time alone too.  It felt weird to not see T for a full 48 hours......that is nothing compared to the 2 years when he is on his mission.  I really do love knowing that everyone is home together, safe and sound.

On a sour note, I ended up coming down with a bad cough over the weekend which eventually ended up becoming a major head cold that lasted, well I still have it and it is day 5.  I am sure it is only a matter of time before my hubby gets it. So the actual Valentine's Day yesterday was not my best day.  However, it was busy and so crazy that we didn't get to celebrate in all the ways we normally do....had to spread it out over two days. 

K had her party at school that I went to help with.....nothing big and no pictures to show for it.  We did make these rings for her classmates and a gift for the teacher......
M had a basketball game that night, so J and I went there and met hubby and K at home later for our heart shaped pizza, salad and smores dessert pizza.  It was so late and we were stuffed, that we waited until tonight for our chocolate fondue.  It worked out better as T joined us for that since he was out with his girlfriend for V Day last night.
I love that the girls get flowers from their dad every year...he went all out with their very own bouquets instead of a single rose.  Plus I always get everyone a little something.  This year it was a bag of assorted candy.
 
I got my tulips and chocolate again this year....
And I even was surprised when I opened a box and found that K had gone to the store and picked out some earrings just for me with her own money......how sweet is that!

It was a great several days.  Happy Valentine's Day to my wonderful family.......I love you all.  And Honey....thanks for the awesome time away with you.....you are the best.

S.W.A.K.!!!!!!

No comments: