Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Blues

Does anyone ever get the "January Blues"? 

I don't know what my problem is these days, but I am in a funk!  I can't seem to focus and get much done.  I want to blame it on being January and the cold weather (except for today - it was gorgeous) and the let down from the holidays and..... and......, but I am not sure what it is.  I am not motivated to do anything and let me tell you, there is so much that I want to get done from my To Do List.

I must confess (and I really shouldn't admit this to everyone, but...)--about a week ago, I woke up not feeling very good and started out laying on the couch watching tv wrapped in a blanket.  And the couch is where I stayed all day long.  No breakfast, no lunch--just snacks--until I had to go pick up carpool after school.  On top of that, I played our new WII game the whole time.  AND, get this........ I felt guilty about it afterwards.  What is up with that?  I think I deserve a day off for myself once in awhile without the guilt, don't I?.  We moms sure have some mixed up thoughts about that, don't we?!  Why shouldn't we take a break and enjoy life a bit.  We always seem to be running around all the time shuffling kids here and there, grocery shopping, doing laundry, cleaning the house, baking and cooking, volunteering, doing church callings, watching the kids in their various activities and so on.  The list is never ending and it is overwhelming at times too.  So why not relax on the couch for a day to rejuvinate?  I LIKE IT!

So whatever they want to call this "lack of interest in things", I hate the feeling of BLAHness.  So I am going to make a strong effort for the rest of the month to pick myself up and get to the gym.  And cook better dinners.  And eat better.  And get caught up on scrapbooks.  And paint the little girl's room.  And clean out my closet.  And organize things better.  And read my scriptures every single day without missing a day.  And make my house "a house of order".  And BE HAPPY!  That shouldn't be too hard....right??!!  I guess this could be called a new years resolution, but I would prefer to call it just plain and simple---
MOTIVATION!   (wish me luck)

9 comments:

Tara said...

Right there with ya, sista! I used to think it was caused by the "inversion" when I lived in Utah. And then I thought it was 'cuz Jason's gone for 5 weeks. Now I think it's just the January BLAH's! Good to know I'm not alone. Your list of things is just like mine...only I'm not quite as motivated as you are, YET. Good luck!! Let us know if anything works to get outta this!

Karla said...

Good Luck !!! :) :) :)

Maureen said...

First of all ... you ARE entitled to a day off every once in awhile. In fact, a lot of whiles! Mother's are never fully "off" anyway, and the fact that we all feel guilty if we're not running at full speed testifies to that fact.

And I do think it's January blues. Have you noticed that with it getting dark early that you get tired early? By 7pm I'm ready to go to bed. What is that? I think, like you, it's just that post holiday letdown, and winter doldrums. Hang in there, my sweet friend, spring is just around the corner!

Holly said...

Love you, and I think we all have those days. Yes, yes, I do...I promise! ;)

Natalie said...

Though I don't know much about the Mom bit of that, I get something similar around Octobers. Something about all the plants dying and animals hibernating makes me think I should too. :-/
So far my most effective coping strategy has been one day of slacking off as -thoroughly- as possible. If you're burning out, you probably earned it.
I'm not sure if it is because I feel more rested or pressed to catch up afterward, but usually I become much more productive afterward.

Rach said...

I agree with Maureen - everyone deserves a day off now and then, ESPECIALLY Mom's!! I'm dying to know what game you were playing all day. Was it Rockband?? I think you need a Girl's Night Out, let's get together!!

COKE FAMILY said...

I think it is great that you had a lazy day! I love lazy days even if they don't come often. Early church is great....took a 3 hour nap on Sunday. LOVE IT....don't you feel guilty!

Jean McKendrick said...

I don't know what it is about January but even in sunny FL we too get in that "funk" right after Christmas. I agree with you, we mom's do not EVER take a break from anything and just "play". Needs to be done way more often than it is.

Tonya said...

I hate january too! I didn't make any resolutions, just so I don't feel bad when I fail at them. Congrats on the sunbeam teacher. I am so jealous...I would love to be the sunbeam teacher. Although, I think we have 23 or 25 of them split into 2 classes, so then again maybe not. But they are the cutest age, you will do great!