Monday, June 14, 2010

Been Too Long... And This Will Be Too Long, too!

Okay.....it has been way too long since my last post, but I was on vacation.  And I loved every minute of it.  In fact, it was hard to make myself come home, but it was past time and real life does go on.  So I will try not to bore you with too many details, but we did have a great time.  We did some normal things and we did some new things too.  We saw some family and friends that we've missed and we missed some family and friends that we wished we could have seen.  But that is the great thing about Utah....there will always be a next time cuz we always go back every year.

The purpose for the trip (if there has to be a one) was taking my 2 big kids to EFY at BYU.  This was M's first year she could go, so she was extra excited.  This was T's 2nd year since last year he chose to go to BYU-I to attend OYA.  I was excited for both of them---I remember the fun times I had when I went to EFY.  I have to hand it to them cuz they went by themselves, not knowing their roommate.  I would have never done that (both years I went with a roomie)  They have told me that they love it that way cuz it makes them get out there and meet new people right off the bat.  (BTW--they had a blast!)
So while the big kids were off for a week away, me and the little girls had some fun of our own.  My sister and her 2 youngest girls happened to be there the same week, so they joined us in some activities.  We did stay several days after picking up the big kids, so they could enjoy some Utah attractions as well.

The biggest thing that happened is J celebrated her birthday.  She turned 11 and was very sad that her dad and older siblings couldn't be there with her.  But when she found out that her cousins would spend it with her, I think she forgot all about the others.  Since that is such an important event, I think it deserves it's own post, so check that out too. 
Because we were there over Memorial Day, we headed to the cemetaries to place flowers.  We went to my sister's first and I was quite surprised how emotional I was after all this time (it has been 10 1/2 years).  I sure miss her. I often wonder how different life would be if she was still here with us.
Then it was off to where both sets of grandparents are buried.  It is quite convienent as one set is just up the hill from the other.  My uncle is also there just a few steps from his parents.  A funny thing happened there as we had just got out of the car.  We were looking at the big flags that were placed along the road and I was trying to get a cool looking picture of them when I looked up and saw 4 ladies just up the hill looking at headstones.  For some reason I continued to watch them and realized that I knew them.  They were my aunt, two of my cousins and one of their girls coming to put flowers on their dad's grave (my uncle).  It was a nice surprise and we had such a great visit.  (We also stopped by to see my aunt's grave at another cemetary.)  My kids especially like the free soda that is given away and T liked the girls that were giving it away I think more than the soda this year.  :)
Of course being in Ogden, we had to stop by Farr's to get the best ice cream ever.  Utah Noodle would have been on the menu too, but they were closed.  (boo)
On the way home, we decided to head out to Huntsville to see our ancestors buried out there.  It was fun to see the house that David O. McKay was born and grew up in.  Being related to him is pretty cool, I might add!
One of our most favorite things to do when we go to Utah is downtown.  We love going to Temple Square, riding the TRAX, playing at Gateway and going up to the top of the Church Office Building.  In fact, I think we actually went there 3 times this trip.  One time I met up with a friend I haven't seen in a couple of years.  We let the kids play in the fountain at Gateway while we visited.  It was nice and hot and lots of fun.
The 2nd time we went downtown, we went on a Sunday to see the taping of "Music and the Spoken Word".  We also went and saw the new display in the visitor's center about the temple.  It has a huge replica with a cut out so you can see what it looks like inside.  It was fun for the kids to use the interactive picture display that goes along with it seeing the various rooms in the SL temple and learning what each room is used for.  Then we headed over to the church history museum to look at the many exhibits.  What a great way to spend the Sabbath!
One of the greatest things I did was meet my niece's baby.  Actually he isn't too much of a baby anymore.  He just turned one and this is the first time I have met him.  He is the cutest baby ever as evident from the following pictures.  He will go to anyone and loves to get his picture taken.  In fact, it was so comical to see him want to see the screen on my camera right after I took his pix.  He loves to see himself.  I could just eat him up he is sooooo cute.
We headed downtown again to go to the Planetarium at Gateway, shopping and again, walking on Temple Square.  We can never get enough.
One thing I have always wanted to do but never seem to is go to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake.  We had a good time driving around and looking for bison.  We were lucky enough to get several to cross the street right in front of our car.
I thought it would be fun to relive my college days and hike to the Y on the mountain with my kids.  I don't remember it being that steep and I know that it was much easier 20 years ago.  I was glad that it was in the shade at that time of the morning.  But we had a great time and what a view!!! (Did you know...it is the largest college letter on a mountain in the world...just FYI)
I was happy to be able to attend one of the famous Palmer Girl Luncheons that are held every 3 months and that I have never been to because I am one of about a handful of cousins that live out of state.  I was sad that not very many could come, but was happy for those I got to see and visit with. (Believe it or not, this is not even close to half of the girls on that side of the family).
And finally, we couldn't go to Utah without eating at some of the best places ever. Here is just a few......
And of course the best part was spending time with my parents.  I wish we lived closer, but I will take 10 hours away rather than 3 days.  Thanks for a great time, Mom and Dad.  I love you more than ever!
   

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Great post! I have to tell you, I do have family in Utah, but I never really feel like going. Your pictures and post make me think it could be fun. Anyway, glad you had a good time and glad you're back!

Natalie said...

Wow, sounds like quite the trip!
Way to be independent and brave enough to take your family on vacations even if Karl couldn't go.

Tara said...

What a fun trip. I've never seen that replica of the temple. How cool is that?!
Isn't it great just to hang out with family? Oh...and Iceberg... YUMMM!!!

Holly said...

Looks like you had a blast! Next time, you have to come over and visit. Gratefully, you have our numbers and address now. I'm glad I got to sneak over and see you before we left CO. :)

Anonymous said...

We loved having you.... COME BACK
We are lonely without all of you.

Pix are great ... keep up the good work

Jean McKendrick said...

Awesome you got to go to UT, so jealous!! Looks like a fabulous vacation!