Friday, June 3, 2011

Heaven Seems so Far Away

I must admit....this is the hardest post that I have ever written on my blog since I started it a few years ago.  And one that I wish I were not writing at this time, but it is necessary for so many reasons.

Last night, my dear sweet father-in-law passed away with his wonderful wife next to him.  (I know that is how I would want to go).  We had been preparing for this day for about a week now, but that does not lessen the impact that it has when it finally happens.

(I love this pix of him on his 85th birthday- 2009)

He suffered a heart attack about 3 years ago and it seems that was the starting point.  We have thought we would lose him several times throughout those years, but were lucky to have him pull through.  But so many things seem to have ailed him since that time and he just couldn't seem to recover fully.  He is a fighter and we are so glad that we had his birthday a couple of weeks ago to be with him for one last celebration.  Eighty seven years is a long time and he lived a good life.

I have known this man since I was 15 when we moved to California from Colorado  and moved into the ward he was the bishop of.  They lived up the street and around the corner from us.  My parents became their friends and so was the start of a beautiful relationship, only to be strengthened by me marrying their son.  They are the best in laws a girl could ever ask for and I feel blessed to have them in my life.  We will all miss Del and I really can't imagine not having him here with us.  He has quick wit, something my hubby inherited, and always made us laugh.  What a strong man in life as well as in the gospel.  I am so very glad for our knowledge of life after death.  I look forward to meeting up with him again and seeing that smile of his.

WE LOVE YOU DEL!!!

 (My hubby with all his siblings and spouses- 2009)

(Christmas Eve last year)

(Del joking around and trying to get my hubby to sit on his lap--what a character)

5 comments:

Maureen said...

So sorry to read this. Even when someone we love has lived a long life, it's so hard to say goodbye. You have published a loving tribute to a wonderful man, and I know the Lord will send his spirit to comfort your family. The gospel is everything ... especially at a time like this.

Sharlyn said...

I am so sorry for your family.

Jean McKendrick said...

Mel,
So sorry for your loss!

Holly said...

Mel, I am so sorry for your loss! I hope you know I am sending you the biggest 'cyber hug' I have...love you!

Kim said...

Mel and Karl,

I was so sad and sorry to see this post. My heart goes out to both of you. I hope that the pain is lessened by the gospel knowledge, but I still know how hard we miss them. We love you and you are in our prayers.

Love, Kim and Mike