Monday, February 23, 2009

I Have to Give Equal Time

I believe a mother has every right to brag about their children, so here I go again. It is your choice to read this or not, but it would be totally unfair if I did not brag about my son and his good grades just as I did about my daughter in an earlier post (1/15/09).
My son is such a smart kid. I think he is just like the typical teenage boy who wants to do just what he needs to get by and no more. So I feel I am constantly on him to do better because I see the potential for more. Ask any of my kids, C's do not cut it. I guess if there was a super hard class that the child was working their tail off and doing their very best always and still comes up with a C, then I would be okay with that. But so far I have seen that my children can get A's and B's in all their classes without any problem. If they do poorly on an assignment or test, I go over it with them to see what happened and offer them encouragement. I don't want them to ever think I don't think they are doing their best, but I do know when they are only doing enough to get by. My kids know that extra credit is our friend and therefore mandatory even if they have an A in the class. (Wow, that sounds harsh when I read that back, how mean am I?)
Last week, there was an Academic Lettering Ceremony for all those kids that have a 3.5 GPA and higher at the high school. After 3 of these, you receive your letter for your jacket. T has like a 3.6 GPA for his first semester of high school. We are so proud of him--he is so smart. (I think I already said that) There were 44 kids that were earning their 7th, meaning they had gotten good grades every semester in high school. T says that he for sure is going to do that. I hope he does since the Academy won't accept students with poor grades. That is always better incentive than mom anyway. WAY TO GO T! By the way, he is second in his ROTC class with a 99.6%, missing the top spot by only 1 point. You can tell which class is his favorite! Have you seen him in his uniform? He sure looks sharp.

2 comments:

Jean McKendrick said...

He looks so grown up in that picture!! Congrats on the good grades. We too work hard and expect Kai does his best even though he's just in kindergarden. I am not one to reward for grades or bribe him to work hard. I think kids need to develop a feeling of accomplishment for work well done (that's their reward in my opinion-besides recognition they receive at school). Way to go, sounds like your kids are all growing up just how you'd want them to.

Holly said...

That is GREAT!I am always proud of my boys when they do well academically! :) T looks so big and I have only been gone a little over 9 months... ;)