Sunday, May 3, 2009

4 Doors, A Deal, & A Meal With Honors

Can I say that May didn't waste any time in becoming crazy like I last posted. Our Saturday was a busy one. I long for the Saturdays that we get to putter around in the yard or get this--even do something fun as a family. Like maybe hiking in the mountains or fishing at the reservoir. (I don't think we have had one of those in quite awhile) Anyway, it started out early with T getting ready for an all day track meet, only to find out after we awoke and he got ready that it was cancelled. It was quite drizzly and foggy and chilly. I can't count the number of meets that have been cancelled due to the weather this last month. He went back to bed, but of course, there was no going back for me, DARN IT. I have always had a hard time getting back to sleep once I have woken up. It has been way too long since I was able to sleep in on a Saturday. So I watched "Phenomenon" snuggled up in bed. I do love that movie. Once we did finally get out of bed, we were off running.

We hit the tile store to pick up our bathroom tile--HURRAY. Yes, we are attempting to install the floor and the shower walls ourselves, so wish us luck. Then it was off to Lowe's to buy our second to last load of supplies for the basement. We are that close that I can count how many more BIG loads we will need. We purchased 4 doors, among other smaller items to actually finish that part, i.e. shims, door knobs, door stoppers. We were going to wait and get the rest of the big items later but we ran across a deal on one of the items we need that we couldn't pass up. We found a cabinet for our family room bar area that was marked down to $200. After asking if they could take any more off, we got it for only $150. WHAT A STEAL. It was originally almost $400 so we were quite happy with that purchase. After spending thousands on the basement, it's nice to save a bit here and there. We were lucky to get it all in the van at once. We spent the rest of the afternoon staining the doors to match the trim and the rest of the house before calling it quits to move onto the next activity going on-a meal with honors.

That evening was the AFJROTC Awards Dinner at Peterson Air Force Base for T. M stayed home with the little girls while my hubby and I took T. It was a fancy dinner if you know what I mean (expensive). It was at the Officer's Club and we were to dress in our nicest clothes. T sure looked sharp in his uniform. He is so proud of being a cadet in ROTC-you can just see it in his face and in his demeanor. So we had a nice dinner of London Broil and Chicken Cordon Bleu with a very yummy cake for dessert. The guest speaker was the principal of the high school who was a Royal Marine Commando over in England. His stories were fascinating to listen to. After that, was the awards-over 20 of them. I was hoping T would get an award just for the sheer fact that he loves this but also because I know he does well in it too. Yes, he did get an award and then another. I think he was the only freshman to get 2 as most of the awards were for 3rd and 4th year cadets. His first award was OUTSTANDING CADET OF THE YEAR given to one cadet in each grade level. How great is that. We were so excited and wrapped up in that when he came back to the table that we were not even listening to the criteria for the next award. The next thing we heard was his name being called for the CELEBRATE FREEDOM FOUNDATION AWARD. Wow-that one even caught him off guard. It is awarded to a 1st or 2nd year cadet who, among other things, ranks in the top 5% of his ROTC class with an A average and ranks in the top 15% of their academic class. We were more than proud to say the least. With each certificate, he also received a ribbon. He can hardly wait to get a bigger rack to attach them to his uniform. Way to go Cadet Staff Sergeant T. You are on your way!

6 comments:

Holly said...

WOW! Congrats to T! Is he taller than you? HOLY COW! I too can not wait for the Saturday...that I get free. Wait...when has that ever happened? Hee,hee,hee! You can come do my yard work...I have 2 guest bedrooms... :P

Tara said...

Way to go T! That's awesome!

Good luck with the tiling...let us know how it goes. We're right behind ya there!

Brandon and Sommar said...

Wow!! That's great that T got 2 awards. You guys must be doing something right because he is turning out to be a great young man. Congrats to you!!!

Mel said...

Yea Holly-he is getting tall but not quite passed me yet. His father is another story as you can tell. :)

Em said...

Wow that is some exciting news! Gratz all around!!

Jean McKendrick said...

Wow, that's impressive. He looks SO GROWN UP! Congratulations!
Did you guys finish the entire basement yourselves? Matt built our basement in UT so I KNOW how much money and time, sweat, blood and tears it takes. But DANG it's worth it when you're done (that's about when we had to move to CO). He started framing the CO basement but that's when we moved to FL. No basements here. :(