Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Wonderfully Different Easter

Easter snuck up on me fast this year.  I don't think I have ever been so ill-prepared for a holiday in my life.  With everything that was happening during Spring Break and Easter being so early this year, it was upon me before I knew it.  I was lucky to get the decorations up in time, the eggs boiled for coloring, and the Easter baskets out and ready for the E. Bunny to come before Saturday.  I was actually surprised that I was able to get it all done in time.

Aside from that---what a great weekend to celebrate the true meaning of Easter than General Conference weekend.  I love this weekend because we get to enjoy watching the Apostles talk to us and be filled with new determination to be better.  (all while staying in our jammies all day)  I love this time to be with my family and to have no other distractions.

However, there is a dilemma......We have traditions for Easter and different traditions for Conference weekend, so which ones do we do????? 

The biggest decision was what to eat.  For Easter, we have the traditional spiral Ham with potatoes and vegetables, but for Conference we have hot wings and BBQ wings.  For the ease and the majority vote, we went with the WINGS.  That way I am not slaving away in the kitchen while conference is on and this way, we can watch and eat at the same time.  Easter dinner will be next Sunday--I can't wait for that yummy ham!
And of course, we can't forget about our Conference cinnamon rolls.  Oh soooooo good!  I decided that I needed to make the full recipe this year, cuz it always seems that they disappear too fast.  This way we can have more and who wouldn't want more of my cinnamon rolls.  (thanks for the recipe Brother Shaw all those many years ago)
We also play the PROPHET game during conference.  Each one of us picks our favorite non-chocolate candy and we play this bingo type game during the talks.  The kids love it and we get to eat as we play.  What is better than that.
So it seems that the Conference traditions have won out this year.  But there are just some Easter traditions that can not be left out.  Of course, we colored eggs yesterday and threw in an egg hunt as well.  Of course, the finding of the filled Easter baskets is a must.  The kids got movies this year--too bad Spring Break is over.  I guess you all know what I'm doing tomorrow when the kids go off to school :).  And for sure, the most important tradition, is the Easter Story.  We can not ever leave out the Savior and his sacrifice and love for us.  We have the story divided up into colored eggs with items that help tell the story of Christ's life, death and Ressurection.  It is a great way to understand and remember the events leading up to the empty tomb.  I love the spirit in our home when we talk of Christ and today, as we listened to our wonderful church leaders and the messages that they bring to us during General Conference.

I hope everyone has a wonderfully spiritual Easter today and remember the real reason we celebrate this holiday.  And Happy Spring!  I have flowers blooming already and I love it!

3 comments:

Holly said...

We usually have ribs for Easter but this time we did the ham! ;)

Rach said...

I'll have to find out more about that prophet game you play. Sounds fun! Easter snuck up on me too this year, and it was different having it Conference weekend. Your cinammon rolls look yummy!! We made some too, it's not conference without cinammon rolls!!

Maureen said...

What a great Easter your family had. I agree, it felt so wonderful this year to combine Conference with Easter. The talks were sooo good. And your food looks like the best too. Glad your family had such a good time.