What an amazing family trip down the Arkansas River. We had such a blast and wished we could have kept going. I guess our next trip will have to be an all day one or even a 2- day trip.
The weather was perfect...nice and sunny and warm. We heard that the water is cold, so you need to wear wetsuits...which we did, but decided that it was nice enough that we could have done without. The clouds started to roll in at the end of the trip and K was getting a bit cold so we were glad that we did the morning run instead of sleeping in and going in the afternoon.
I have been calling on this trip for a few weeks now as the water level keeps changing. We wanted to go on a trip that had class 3 & 4 rapids and still have K with us. We wanted to do this with all 6 of us, so luckily this week Brown's Canyon levels went down and they were allowing as young as 7 to run that part of the river. We were thrilled and so was she.....especially since she didn't have to paddle at all.
We went with an outfit that put us in with all the others, but we were able to float down a few miles farther than the other half day trips. And we booked with this place because we heard that they let you cliff jump. And they did...it was so much fun! We each took a turn and jumped. K was a bit uneasy about it so I held her hand and we jumped together. What a rush! K did great and so did J. She was not sure, but did it on her own and loved it. Unfortunately, somehow, we did not get a picture of her jumping. (sorry J...we know you did it)
*Me and K jumping*
*my hubby doing a flip....and he lost a water shoe in the process...but it looked good*
I took a waterproof camera with me to at least have something to show for it. But it was quite impossible to take pictures "during" the big rapids since I was suppose to be paddling. K could have since she was not, but then again, she was too busy holding on for dear life. We had 2 extra people in our boat, but the guide. They were great to have along. We were happy that between the 3 boats that were in our group, not one person fell out.
I am so happy that we were able to finally go....all of us. And that we all loved it. If you haven't tried it, you are missing out. I thing the Royal Gorge is next for us...minus the 2 youngest....limit is 15 years old I believe.....sorry girls!
Best birthday present we have ever given...we know you loved it T! We might be considered "fun" parents afterall! :)






1 comment:
WOW and WOW again. What fun! I wish I were young again so I could do fun things like that.
I NEED PIX AS I CAN'T GET THEM OFF YOUR BLOG.
LOVE ALL OF YOU LOTS
Post a Comment