She would tell you that Saturday was the best day of her life, for several reasons.
ONE: it was her actual birthday!! She was up in time with me to count down to the time she was born. 8:24 AM to be exact! We screamed to wake up everyone else in the house and then I sang Happy Birthday to her while hugging her and swinging her in my arms. I can't believe my baby is getting so big. I am not ready for her to grow up.
TWO: her grandparents are here to celebrate with her. It is not the first time that she gets to be with extended family on her birthday. Afterall, it falls in the middle of Spring Break and we tend to go somewhere or have family visit, so this is not unusual. But still exciting none the less. She absolutely adores her grandfather. I do not exist when he is around - it is fun to see her with him. She is always the first one to drive with him and grandma-usually the only one, but she loves it. Another reason she likes it when they come to visit is because they stay in a hotel and of course, there is a swimming pool and so that means---swimming. We go in as many times as we can get in while they are here, which is basically every day.
THIRD: the birthday person gets to pick where they want to go for dinner on "their" night. All week it was ITZ and all week we were hoping that she would change her mind. The pizza there is gross and we all knew that the only reason she wanted to go was to play the games and ride the rides. But it was her night so we would do what she wanted. But thank goodness we offered her some other ideas in the last couple of days that she changed her mind to Chuck E Cheese. Now, their pizza isn't the best either, but at least it is better than ITZ and I can get a salad there that is pretty good. CiCi's was a close second and I was quite bummed that I didn't get to have any of those yummy cinnamon rolls, but we had a great time playing games and eating. We found this Price Is Right game that spit out tons of tickets, so we were thrilled to get so many for the little girls to spend on prizes. K had a blast and that was the whole point. In fact, she was lucky enough to go out 2 nights in a row with Red Robin the night before. The waiters even sang to her.
FIFTH: And the best reason of all.......... K was baptized! This was what she was waiting for. This was what made that day the best ever. She was so excited, she could hardly stand it. She wanted to get in her dress and be ready right after breakfast. It took all I had to have her wait until after lunch. She had picked out who she wanted to do what and sent out invitations to them and other close friends she wanted to make sure would know to come. We were sad that some family and friends from farther away could not make it, but we were happy to those who took the time to come join in this special day with K---THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Her grandmothers both gave a talk, both grandfathers were the witnesses, both sisters gave the prayers, her brother baptized her and her father confirmed her--it was a nice program. She was so loving the idea that T would perform the baptism and that it was her actual birthday - she thought that was the coolest thing ever. Before it started, I was telling her that I would come back and help her get her ready after she was baptized and she was quite adamant that I not do that---that she could do it all herself. I told her that that was my part in the program, but she didn't want anything to do with that. She was a big girl now and could do it alone and didn't want my help. But.....But....But....I'm her mom and I need to help her! She isn't suppose to be able to do anything without my help cuz I'm her mom. When did she get so independent? Oh right, she is 8 now!! :) So after she was baptized, I sat out with everyone else for maybe 2 minutes and then turned to my hubby and asked him if that was long enough for me to wait to help her. I was glad when he said yes--I think I literally ran for the door. I wonder how many people thought I had forgotten that I was suppose to go back there to help her? When I got back there, I asked her if I had waited long enough and could I help her now--she quickly said yes and that made my day! She looked gorgeous in her pretty white dress, her white sandals, her flower barrett, and her new jewelry that she was given. She looks so grown up to me now. I remember when each of my kids were born and I would look at the older one's hands when they were visiting me in the hospital and I thought they looked so big to me when just the day before they didn't. It was like they had grown up over night. Why is that??? (Off topic- I know) Anyway, it was a wonderful day and I am so glad that the snow stopped and the sun came out.
I can't believe she was our last. We are officially finished in the "baptizing kids department" and that is a little different to know that. Pretty soon they will start leaving the nest and then what will I do??? Oh don't get me started-I am not ready for that. But it is a little sad to know that this stage is over for us-we've completed that step and now we are on to another one. Where does all the time go?









6 comments:
Wonderful day to have a birthday! It also happens to be the same day as my birthday. Her day sounded significantly better than mine, this year anyway. Thanks for sharing!
Congrats K! How neat your brother was able to baptize you. My brother baptized me and I will never forget it! HUGS!
Yeah, I'm glad her big day finally came and glad that she let you help her in the dressing room! Happy Birthday K and congrats on your special day!
Congratulations! I can't believe she is old enough to be baptized either, she was a little tiny when I was there! Of course Kai gets baptized this year too which I cannot believe.
Wow! What great day! I can't believe how grown up she is already! I think I'd have cried not being able to help her get dressed. I'm so glad she let you! =) Now...let's figure out how to stop time right NOW!
We were pleased to be a part of this 8th Birthday and Baptism. It was fun being with all of you and being a part of Chuck E- Cheese as well as Red Robin dinner and swimming of course.
Grandpa and I send our love to all of you.
Post a Comment