Monday, December 27, 2010

Hold Your Breath!

There is a tradition that we used to do over the holidays when I was growing up.  We have done it a few times since we started having kids, but we haven't really done it on a consistent basis.  So I decided that this year we would do it again.......ice cream balls!

Ok, so you are probably thinking....so what!!  But it is actually a pretty fun game.  Everyone gets an ice cream ball with a candle stuck in the top.  All are lit at the same time and the last candle burning, WINS!!  You have to eat your ice cream as you go and yes, there is a strategy to it.  It is always fun to see how people form their ice cream....

How they position the candle......

Some think they have it made and then they either breath heavy on the candle or it falls over.  It is fun with a bigger group, so friends came over to play our new Christmas game and to have ice cream balls.  It was a close race to the finish, but unbelievably, K won. Her candle was ever so slightly still lit in a small pool of wax.  The flame was so low that I kept thinking it would burn out.  J, M and one of our friends had tall flames and I thought it was between them. 


But K won out and got the prize.  She was thrilled.

We had a great time.  I think we will do it every year and invite a family over to enjoy it with us.  Some traditions never die, even after years of inactivity.

4 comments:

Rach said...

Okay that sounds really fun. I might have to try that, and what a good excuse to eat ice cream!!

Em said...

Fun! I want to try it! What is an icecream ball though? Just a scoop of icecream or is there a trick to it? Do tell!

Holly said...

Oh man, that's game right up my alley! What FUN!

Tara said...

How fun!! I'm totally gonna try that!